The Book of Taliesin
1. What is your character’s name, age, sex, and race? >>>>Answer this question for 1 Karma.
2. What is the character’s physical size/description? Include any tattoos, piercings, chrome, or scars. >>>Answer this question for 1 Karma.
3. The environment that your character was born into may change how they view the world. Was your character born an orc in an area of intolerance where they learned anger or fear or where they born into community that accepted them? Did your character have many friends or where you shy or ostracized by your peers? Did your family move around a lot? Was your character educated? What was it like for you character growing up? >>>>Answer this question for 1 item worth no greater than 1,000Y that represents a facet of how your character grew up.
4. Has the character ever done anything else for a living? >>>Answer this question for 1 Karma.
5. We are shaped by our heritage. Facial features, skin tone, height, build, metatype, even aptitudes are influenced by the genes passed from parent to child. Attitude, too, is taught by parents, informed by their own lives and their cultural heritage. Where does your character come from, what is her lineage, who were her parents, and what did she inherit from them? >>>>Answer this question for 1 additional C2/L5 contact – this contact is a member or a close friend of the family, someone the runner can trust and will help out as much as they can as long as they are treated with the same respect the runner expects.
6. Parents can be proud of their children or regret ever bringing them into the world. Some are loving, and some are indifferent. All of them are only metahuman and have their own opinions of their children. Assuming they could speak, what would each of your character’s parents say about her? >>>Answer this question for 1 Karma.
7. Family many time includes more than just mom, dad, and child. It can include siblings, cousins, nieces, nephews, uncles, aunts, and grandparents. It can also include close family friends. Describe your character’s extended family and their relationship with your character. Do you still have any contact with them? >>>>Answer this question for 1 Karma.
8. Even in the 6th world people find time for love and romance and of course drama. Does your character have any romantic entanglements? >>>>>Answer this question for either 1 additional C2/L5 contact or 3 C1/L1 contacts. This contact(s) is someone your character is/was emotionally involved with.
9. Many people remember certain historical events for the rest of their lives. For those alive in the first decade of the 21st century, it could be the assassination of John F. Kennedy, or the Tiananmen Square protests, or the fall of the Berlin Wall, or the attacks of 11 September 2001. People remember where they were, and what they were doing when they first heard of these events. Shadowrun history has significant events as well, such as the assassination of President Dunkelzahn, the Crash 2.0, and the emergence of technomancers and artificial intelligences. Pick a few events from recent Shadowrun history and ask where the character was at the time, what does he remember about the event, and what was he doing at the time? >>>Answer this question for 2 Karma… If you answer with events specific to the London and/or British Isles area you will receive 2 extra Karma.
10. What does your character think of the matrix and technology? >>>>Answer this for 1 extra Karma.
11. Very few people choose to become shadowrunners. More likely, they are thrown into the life by a chaotic and uncaring world. Even if she made a conscious decision to enter the shadows, her decision is influenced by the world around her. How did your character get into shadowrunning, and why did she take that path? Where/how did you get any unusual skills, cyberware, contacts, etc.? >>>>Answer this question for 1 Karma
12. What does your character think of other metatypes? What is your favorite metatype and your least favorite metatype>>>>>Answer this question and receive +1 die modifier in all social tests when dealing with any member of your favorite metatype and similarly, when dealing with npcs from your least favorite metatype, you receive a -1 social die modifier.
13. People have control over their own living arrangements. From the child young enough to use crayons and tape all the way up to the elderly shut-in who plasters her walls with family photos and cat pictures, everyone makes their living spaces more personally pleasing. What is your character’s living space like, and what has he added or changed to make it his own?>>>Answer this question and receive 1 month of pre-paid High Lifestyle, 2 months of prepaid Middle Lifestyle, or 6 months of pre-paid Low Lifestyle. You must pay for the first month during character creation. The pre-paid month(s) follow after that first month.
14. Name one run that your character would do for free. >>>>1 Karma
15. Everyone has beliefs, and many have beliefs strong enough to be convictions. Some are religious, some are political, some are social, and some are just about why people are here. In what situation would your character sacrifice it all for a higher cause? What does your character believe in, what are her convictions (if any), and why does she hold them? >>>>Answer this question for 1 additional C3/L2 contact-this contact is a member of an organization that supports your runner’s beliefs in some way. This could be a religious leader, a martial arts instructor, an aroma therapist.
16. Everyone has aspects of their personality that grate on someone. Even the best of friends annoy one another from time to time. The flaws in a person’s character are as important as the qualities. What do you dislike most about your character’s personality? >>>Answer this question for 1 Karma
17. The Sixth World is considered by many to be spinning out of control. If anyone could exert control over it, it would be the “Big Ten” triple-A megacorps. These transnational exert a lot of influence on everyday life in the 2070s. Which of the Big Ten does your character hold in the highest (or least low) regard, which does he like the least, and why? >>>Answer this question and receive +1 die modifier in all social tests when dealing with anyone affiliated with your favorite corp. Similarly, NPC’s from your least favorite corp consider you Suspicious (-1 social die modifier).
18. Where did your character get his resources?>>>1 Karma
19. People make acquaintances and friends; we’re hardwired for it. Humans are social animals. This is especially true in the shadows, where often it is not the power you have, but the power you can borrow, and not who you are but who you know. There’s a story behind each and every one of these relationships. What is the story with your character and her contacts? >>>Answer this question for 1 additional C1/L1 contact – this contact is simply and additional contact of minor value to the runner. They may have an occasional benefit to the runner, but are in reality, only a minor business contact.
20. What goals does your character have? >>>1 Karma
21. It’s Sunday morning, and your character has no commitments until tomorrow afternoon. What does she do for the day? >>Answer this question and give your character a hobby. This hobby comes with collectible, materials, gear, or other material value equal to 50% of one month’s Lifestyle. For instance, if you pick a Middle Lifestyle (5,000Y), you would have a comic collection valued at 2,500Y. This value does not increase with time unless your runner adds to it. It does not increase with value if your runner upgrades to a higher Lifestyle. It is set at character creation.
22. Your character has a specific skill set, a list of Active and Knowledge skills that define what she knows and her areas of expertise. How did she come to learn those skills, and how did she develop them to those levels? >>>>Answer this question for a Rank 3 non-combat Active Skill and two Rank 2 Knowledge Skills.
23. Name one secret your character has. Who does he keep this secret from? >>>Answer this question for 1 Karma.
24. Everyone has their limits. People can be dark, but most people’s instinct is to draw the line at certain actions and thoughts, and they keep to their own moral convictions. Is there a moral limit that your character enforces on the jobs she takes, and in what shadow work would she refuse to engage? >>>Answer this question for 1 Karma.
25. If you have an Awakened or technomancer character, consider your character’s tradition and streams. Even within the major established magical traditions and the recently emerged technomantic streams, there is room for personalization. Ask yourself what drew her to that particular paradigm, how does it affect the way she views the world and her magic, how does it translate into choice of mentor spirit or paragon, and how does it affect the appearance of the spirits or sprites you conjure or compile? In what situation would your character sacrifice it all for a higher cause? If you are not a technomancer or awakened how does your character feel about both technomancers and awakened. Also magic in general. >>>>Answer this question for 2 Karma.
26. While acceptance and bias vary from place to place, augmentations – be they bio-, cyber-, gene-, or nanowire – are increasingly common and available in the Sixth World. However, personal technological enhancement is rarely cheap, and many implants that runners possess are restricted. How did your character come to have the enhancements she has, how were they paid for, and what motivated the choices she made (if she did make the choices)? If your character has not augmented her body then how do they feel about people who have augmented their bodies and how do they feel about the different augmentations? >>>>Answer this question for 2 Karma.
27. Optional: Name up to three rivals/enemies for your character. >>>Answer this and for each one, you get 3 Karma for Contacts.
28. Life as a shadowrunner is by definition outside the bounds of “normal” life. Shadowrunners do not truly fit into the lives of ordinary people, whether they live in slums or mansions. What does your character think of ordinary life, mainstream culture, and those who abide by it? >>>Answer this question for 1 Karma
29. Everyone has nightmares. Sometimes, we forget the dream completely on waking. Sometimes, the nightmare haunts us or even recurs. If your character had a lingering nightmare or a deep-rooted Fear, what would it be, and why does he find it so terrifying? >>>Answer this question and it will count as a free 5 point Negative Quality, increasing your total maximum Positive Quality cap to 40.
30. People tend to attach sentimental value to items in their possession or people they are close to. They make an effort to keep these close by and safe. What is your character’s “sacred object” or “close one” and how did they come to be so important to him?>>>Answer this question for a close personal belonging… it can be a power or weapon focus or drone or a special gun..etc….. The item cannot be unreasonable and will have one special power/ability/augmentation… The list of special abilities will be available once the item has been decided.
31. One of metahumanity’s greatest assets is its ability to look toward the future and imagine a better life. Even small children have dreams about what they want to be when they grow up. What did your character want to become when he was a child, and what are his goals now? >>>Answer this question for 1 Karma.
32. A person’s appearance can say volumes about him. From fashion sense, to the colors he prefers, to the way he walks and speaks. Sometimes, his personality determines his appearance, and sometimes the appearance he chooses to present the world effects his personality. What does your character look like, and what inspired his choices? >>>>Answer this question for 3 articles of clothing or armor from the Core Rulebook, valued no greater than 1000Y each.
33. Everyone has a name but a runner’s street name is a representation of his connection to the shadows. Sometimes runners choose their own moniker, but more often it is given to them as a nickname or earned through some (mis)adventure. How did you character come to be known by his street name? >>>Answer this question for 1 Karma.